If any of you are interested, here’s the info:
I will be starting a new Family History Class this September 10th! The class is held every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon, then again from 1:00 to 3:00 (same class repeated) in the Stake Center (450 South 100 West, Orem). This is a FUN class, but you will receive weekly assignments (a couple …of hours’ worth) to help you actually get started and learn skills that will enable you to do all the things you know you want to do, but may not yet know how.
The topics of the classes will include the following:
1. Introduction to Family History Work
2. Journal Keeping
3. Life Chronologies and Time Lines
4. Your Personal History
5. Organizing Your Computer Files, Digitizing
6. Doing Descendant Research, FAG, Types of Sources: Primary, Secondary, Compiled
7. Types of Records and Where to Find Them, Censuses, Document Binders
8. Sourcing Documents
9. Using the Internet to Search, Google
10. Location Research
11. Finding Histories of Family Members, Oral Histories
12. LDS Sources, Blessings of the Temple
13. The Spirit World / Sharing Success Stories
The cost for the class handouts is $24.00. After each class all the handouts and more information will be emailed to each participant. At the end of the term, you will have a binder filled with excellent information and instructions that will help you to document and record your life and the lives of those around you. The work is very hands-on and fun and will focus on your family and extended families, but you will learn skills that can take you far beyond that. You will feel the Spirit of Elijah as you do this work. The lessons build on each other, so it’s best if you can commit to come to as many classes as possible if you’d like to attend.
If you are interested in joining our September class, please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have your name included. You are welcome to invite other family members or friends. You know this is something you’ve always wanted to do. Now is the time to do it!